Mission Critical Fire Alarm Upgrades
GBA’s Mission Critical Group worked with a national telecommunications provider to visit multiple sites and audit existing data center fire alarm and suppression systems. The primary focus of these audits was on end-of-life alarm systems that are considered obsolete and no longer supported by the manufacturer. Repair or replacement parts for these systems were no longer available which would increase the risk of having fire suppression systems impaired.
GBA provided a comprehensive report with recommendations for upgrades, design of fire alarm system modifications and construction administration services for implementation of these upgrades.
The system audits included evaluations for compliance and design in compliance with International Building and Fire Codes, Local Municipal Codes, National Fire Codes (NFPA 10,13, 72, 2001), client standards, insurance requirements, Factory Mutual Global (FMG) Data Sheets, manufacturer guidelines and UL-listings.
Throughout this project, GBA’s services included:
- Facility fire suppression and alarm audits
- Prioritizing deficiencies and providing recommendations
- Providing construction cost estimates and assisting in owner’s budget projections
- Designing for full fire alarm replacements
- Reviewing shop drawings
- Directing the functional performance sequence of operation testing
Elements of this project included:
- Replacement of fire alarm control panels
- Fire alarm panel networking
- Detection and notification device upgrades
- Air sampling (VESDA) coverage upgrades and panel replacement for interface
- Clean agent suppression control/release
- Double interlock preaction monitoring, control and release
- Elevator recall and shunt interface
- Smoke purge control and mechanical system interface
- Monitoring with a Building Automation System (BAS)
- Monitoring at a Network Operations Center (NOC)